October 14, 2006

Podcasting: Radio Killed the Reading Star

It's seems pretty obvious that lack of time is one of the key factors in today's society. This becomes really critical in a profession like ours, information security.

What tools or methods do you use to keep your security knowledge and skills up to date? Just to name a few, I (try to) read lots of articles and whitepapers, a few books per year, I'm subscribed to several mailing-lists, I like to review the security conferences presentations and videos, I'm also subscribed to several Blogs (I'll cover this in a future post), I'm a frequent visitor of specific Web pages, I'm author and reviewer of security training material..., but, to sum up, all these activities require reading from (or watching at) a traditional piece of paper or my laptop screen, therefore, they require spare time. Conclusion: I don't have enough time to do it as much as I'd like!

Fortunately enough, some time ago I discovered podcasts (or the offline e-radio), but it really was a year ago when I got hooked on podcasts, almost at the same time the first episode of Pauldotcom Security Weekly saw the light. The main advantage of the audio format is that you can listen it using your MP3 player anytime, anywhere, such as when commuting, shopping, walking or waiting... . The following is the current list (in no specific order) of security podcasts I currently listen to in a weekly basis:

I specially like the most technical ones. In order to select your favourite security podcats list (everyone has their own), I strongly recommned listen to 2-3 episodes and judge them by yourself, mainly based on your current preferences and needs.

If you're a security podcast listener, what are your favourite ones? I encourage you to share your podcasts (or any other innovative "information gathering method") with the RaDaJo community by writting a comment to this post. Thanks!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. Most of the picks are very on-spot, however I wonders: why do listen to security now? Doesn't it feel like it's too commercial and the fact is that Steve Gibson makes errors in all of the shows, which is understandable, after all we're all human, but most of them are left uncorrected. I even started a series on my blog where I list all the errors I can find in his shows.

9:51 AM  
Blogger Raul Siles said...

Cd-MaN, you're right, there are quite a few technical errors in the Security Now shows. However, what made me list this podcast is the fact that Steve is capable of explaining relatively complex security topics so that they can be understood by the standard PC user. I like to hear it just to see how to describe and simplify things when creating security awareness among end users. Thanks for your feedback!

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good work. But i have a question, what podcast client for windows is better to download and manage this podcast files?

10:25 AM  
Blogger Raul Siles said...

Good point! I didn't cover the client software required to download and manage podcasts on purpose, because I know there are lots of options out there :-) I feel pretty confortable using iTunes for Windows.

12:59 AM  
Blogger SynJunkie said...

I have a hell of a commute but the following make it something worth looking forward too.

Risky Business
Mightyseek
Silver Bullet
Radio Free Security
CERT Podcast
Audio Parasitics
Sploitcast
HPR

1:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What spanish podcast or feed do you recommend?

11:24 PM  
Blogger Raul Siles said...

Unfortunately, I don't know about any security podcast in Spanish. If you have references, please, let us know.

Regarding feeds, there are lots of them (I prefer not to promote some versus the others), mainly associated to individuals (security professionals) from Spain.

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home